What is QEEG?
A Quantitative ElectroEncephaloGram is a recording of your brain waves that creates a visual map of your brain activity. Our experienced staff are able to read this map and learn a lot about you and your needs through it! This is why receiving a QEEG is the necessary preliminary step before you begin Neurofeedback training.
Once we process your QEEG we discuss what we see with you, and together we gain greater understanding of how to best design and proceed with your treatment.
At Peak Brain Institute we perform an initial QEEG and also a follow-up after 30 sessions of neurofeedback. Comparing these maps shows us the hard evidence of changes you have made through our program.
How is QEEG used?
QEEG “Brain Mapping” provides us with a lot of information, including how your brain may be unusual across EEG frequencies (speed, power, and distribution), connectivity patterns, and how your brain changes state. In clinical QEEG, your recording is compared to a database of thousands of “typical” brains. All QEEG recordings are inspected to rule out dramatic pathology, and identify patterns that diverge from typical. This information helps identify functional issues and helps target your goals for peak brain performance.
What to expect when you have your QEEG recorded:
- A QEEG brain scan takes about 20 minutes at Peak Brain.
- The process is painless and non-invasive.
- You are fitted with a dry headset which records your brain waves from multiple scalp locations.
- First we will record 5 minutes of your brain activity with your eyes closed, then an additional 5 with your eyes open.
- The night before or morning of your QEEG recording, wash your hair twice and rinse very well. AVOID CONDITIONER and shampoos with conditioner or “creme” rinse. The waxes in those products make it very hard to get a good EEG signal.
- PLEASE AVOID CAFFEINE the morning before and ideally 18 hours before your QEEG. Otherwise don’t do anything differently (eating or sleeping habits).
- Please discuss any medications you are on with us before scheduling your QEEG.
Schedule a Free Consultation
Peak Brain Institute Locations for QEEG or Quantitative Electroencephalography Testing
Costa Mesa, CA – Culver City, CA – New York City, NY – St. Louis, MO